Google
 

Tips on an expat's digital life in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Nozbe

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mobily connect tips/quirks

1. I was using mobliy connect post paid for sometime but now has changed to prepaid. One of the quirks I observed is in the connect parameters of the mobily supplied usb modem user interface. When 'mobily connect' is clicked, it has a tab for setting the connection parameters. In my case, it does have a pre-set profile for both postpaid and prepaid and unfortunately it defaults to the postpaid. So everytime I need to connect, I have to click the setting and choose pre-paid (The only difference between the two is in the APN. For postpaid it is Web1 and for the latter it is Web2). The button to modify and delete are disabled!

2. I tried sending mails from outlook over a connection of mobily connect but couldn't find any docs that specify the smtp server to be used. mail.nesma.net.sa used to work before but now a strange delivery failure message is returned, which says the particular IP (assigned when we connect) is blocked by some xyz! ( the message is IP# xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is blacklisted by zen.spamhaus.org. No mail will be accepted)

3. With postpaid the top download speed I observed was upto 250 k bytes/sec and now with pre paid I have seen it crossing 300 KB! I don't know whether it is likewise now with postpaid.

4. In the beginning, sending SMS used to be free from postpaid, but later on they started adding the cost in my invoice. With pre-paid, I haven't tried yet.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Man ..even i lik these stuffs & all

iused N95 mobile as my modem ..i use to get around 1.6Mbps from mobily ..

i hav heard mobily will soon upgrade thr system to 14.4mbps whr as now it is 7.2 mbps

wht do u kno abt this ??

Anonymous said...

I have no idea who you are but you web1 web2 detail is fantastic. The money I save by not having to take any more ulcer pills, I will donate to your favourite charity.
Thank you thank you thank you
David

Rafeek said...

@David: Thank you for the compliments and for the time you spent writing this gratifying comment.

About charity :), ok, I was taught when we smile to someone, that too is a charity, that will be rewarded. So, just keep smiling :)

And you really made me as well to smile, for it is so exciting to know that some of my efforts was of use to someone else.

Unknown said...

nice info,
Well, there is USB HSDPA Dongle Modem available now and mobile work fine with this Bandrich Bandluxe C120

Anonymous said...

I'm in Jeddah and brought along a Sierra Wireless Aircard I'd been using in Australia on Telstra. The pre-paid mobily data pack I picked up added a mobily profile but the default APN was set to 'web1'.

Thanks for posting the tip - set the APN to 'web2' and all works sweetly. :)

It'd be nice to have the mobily kind of service back in AU.

Anonymous said...

mobily networkfailed above 3day in the khobar eskan

Anonymous said...

Iam thahir.sp mobily ksa coustmer,

mobily networkfailed above 3day in the khobar eskan.please check.

Anonymous said...

Iam shafi mobily ksa coustmer,

mobily networkfailed above 3days in the khobar eskan.please check.

Anonymous said...

Can someone in Saudi Arabia please check for me from Mobily Customer Service that whether, 275SR package http://www.mobilyconnect.com.sa/wps/portal/Connect for pre-paid users.. I am asking this because, I will be visiting Saudia for Hajj and will be leaving tomorrow.. Please reply ASAP. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the best IT automation utility for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central VNC
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

Unknown said...

Bought a Mobily Connect Package yesterday. It works on my Toshiba laptop, my HP desktop but NOT on my HP laptop. Every attemp to connect end with a message "Dial failed, Do you want to retry".
Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

i bought a hspa usb modem hoping it will connect to the mobily 21Mbps HSPA network, do they have another APN for this connection?

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Speednet result with mobily connect

Speednet result with mobily connect
Speed

About Me

Surviving in Riyadh since 1993! Love to see smiling faces around and beyond! Contributing my tiny share around!